21 June 2007

Communication breakdown

This week at work, I've been surrounded by power struggles, back-stabbing, rumours, and all kinds of unhealthy settings. It's *unbelievable*. Personally, the whole "rat race" is not my thing. I strive to do my job well, I want to succeed, but I know my limits. I know that there are things I will never do and I know that I will not sabotage someone just to move forward. It's just not in my nature.

I just cannot for the life of me understand some people who have gone up the ladder, one way or another, and are perpetually anxious : they make the people who work for them miserable just to feel that they have power over them; they do not communicate with the rest of the team, they are constantly in meetings and demand to be cc-ed on everything...

Bad management is really a horrible thing. It just demoralizes everyone around and is so very counter productive. When you step back and look at the situation, you realize that people have not grown up, that they are still children, in a school yard, fighting over who has the most marbles and the most friends. It's so childish and so totally irrational... I've tried to explain this, to understand it, but really there's no point.

People forget the importance of communicating, of talking, of sharing ideas, of listening. They forget that by communicating, we move forward, we help one another, and we better understand the needs of everyone....

I shall leave you with the following quote :

"The crucial role of language in human evolution was not the ability to exchange ideas, but the increased ability to cooperate" - Fritjof Capra

5 comments:

running42k said...

wonderful quote and an astute observation on workplace dynamics. It really is strange isn't it.

Anonymous said...

TOUTOUUUUUUU!! Où es-tu TOUTOU?? meow!

Ben-Ohki said...

...and this is why I am not climbing the manager's ladder around here. I could probablly do it (and easily, at that). But the longer I've been around, the more I see the power-struggles between the manager-level employees... I'd rather do without.

Anonymous said...

so I am looking for old friends i knew in tunis from 1988-1990. Ive been google searching and what not but since i cant type or read arabic and my french is limited to reading the "gist" i'm not getting too far. I stumbled across your blog in english and got pretty excited.
want to help and old woman find her ex fiance?

Looking for mohsen larbi. hes about 40 now. he was with the police or military when i was there who knows who he grew up to be now... I believe his family was originally from the countryside around silianna but they lived in manuba near tunis for a while when i was there.

I havent spoken with him in 17 years, any suggestions as to how I could go about looking would be greatly apreciated. Thank you -kim
saygoodnightgraci@earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

tu devrais militer dans un partie politique ... ca leur changera des leches-culs !