12 June 2007

On why I hate pedestrians in Tunisia

This post has been brewing in my head for quite some time... I've been trying to find some sort of logic, some sort of explanation, something, anything to start explaining the behavior of pedestrians in Tunisia, but I just can't...

I cannot for the life of me understand why people would walk on the road, when you have a sidewalk. I cannot understand why people cross the road when there are cars coming their way... And they're not even running! They're just taking their sweet time crossing the street while cars are going 90km an hour. I just don't get it. I don't get why people choose not to use the pedestrian cross way on top of the highway, a thing specifically created to avoid accidents and save lives. And why would you walk on the street, at night, when there are no street lights, and dressed in black?

Do these people have a death wish? I suppose they are suicidal? Are they just plain stupid? What is it that can explain such a behavior? I really don't know. All I know is that I am terrified of hitting someone. It's always something on my mind when I drive, especially at night. I have tendencies to drive fast, and I am very careful with my peaks of speed, but that stupid f*cker who might just decide to cross when I switched to the 5th gear on the highway, is always on my mind.

Venting over for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so totally agree.

Reminds me of a post I wrote along the same lines from a few years ago:
http://www.subzeroblue.com/archives/2004/02/mad_driving_crazy_pe.html

Anonymous said...

commence par parler une langue qu'ils comprennent et à vivre leur quotidien

à bon entendeur

Emre Saglam said...

Humans walked for the last millions of years wherever they wanted. Only for the last 100 years or so they are restricted from specific locations called roads. It takes time to learn. ;)

Anonymous said...

Easy to understand.
They are jus t" stronger" than the cars ...

Leilouta said...

Let's give tickets to pedestrians.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever take a sidewalk, for some long distance? I guess, if you do so, probably you will understand a bit why they are doing that..
Actually, I asked myself the same question, and I was frustrated as you. But, when you take a pedestrian you will probably understand..