15 May 2006

How thick is your skin?

Time and time again, I've had my skin here stretched, put to a test, and just plain abused. With age and time, I realize more and more that my skin needs to be 5 cms thick and extremely rough. I need to get inspired from those big creatures like the rhinoceros or the elephant.

In here, you have to learn to be abused verbally very often on the road or on the
street. You have to learn that people will expect to be able to say whatever they want to you and you to take it "like a man" because it is that way. The worst part of it, is I can most of the time take it, but what really kills me is that the feeling is not reciprocated. Meaning. I am expected to take it, but the other on the other hand will feel abused or attacked or whatever.

The other day at the post office, some asshole cut me off at the line, and I told him so. The f*cker actually got pissed because I asked him to stand in line. I offended him! Good holy God. Same thing on the road, same thing on the street where some guy was talking to me, while I was ignoring him, and when I could not take it anymore after 10 mns and told him to please stop, he felt that I was being aggressive. What the f?

All of this is just very tiring, because I expect (foolishly it seems) for people to behave like grown-ups, to be able to behave in a way that they expect others to reciprocate, and that most of all, they develop other interests in their lives so as not to talk about others'.

3 comments:

Mathieu said...

maybe you ought to start being rude. Rightly rude, I mean. Put on a mean stare and mean it.

Kidding.

People suck.

Heliodore said...

Smile ! You're in Tunisia !

A. said...

That really sucks ! we have to re-learn the word "RESPECT" in Tunisia...

It beacme like a competition, who is less respectful... izzakch

Yeah Heliodore, malheureusement, ibtassim innaha Tounes !