24 May 2006

My first scratch...

I've been meaning to write about this for the last couple of days, but never got around doing it

Last week, I scratched my car. My car is about 4 months old, and frankly, I'm just glad she (yes, it's a she) got a taste of reality. I had this intense fear of driving in the beginning because I found myself in this new car (my first new vehicle) that was big and costed more than I had thought I'd spend. Of course, I fell in love with my car, just like every new car-owner and I was paranoid with scratches, etc.

A part of me of course wants to preserve the car as it was the day I got it, but considering the realities of driving (especially in Tunisia) one must realize that it is only a matter of time (just look at the bumpers here) before you adjust your tolerance level for these little "bumps". We all want to hold on to the new thing as much as possible. We just want to have it perfect for as long as possible. We want it whole and complete and shiny. However, by keeping this "perfect" image of the thing, we never get over the fact that it is in fact just that : a thing. A nice engine surrounded by some metal, plastic, and a great dashboard.

So basically, I feel relieved that I scratched it. It was my own stupidity that caused the beauty to lose a small part of its paint. And I don't feel werid have felt "ehh... what the hell" when it happened. Now I suppose I can stop (or reduce) the fussing.

7 comments:

Heliodore said...

Welcome to the jungle, sweet heart !

running42k said...

I can't get too taken with a car. I like mine, it's realiable and good, but the kids treat it like a trash bin.

Slaim said...

I liked your "it is in fact just that : a thing. A nice engine surrounded by some metal, plastic, and a great dashboard"

Keep loving the thing!

Emre Saglam said...

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Mathieu said...

It happens. The first cut is the deepest they say.

Once it happens... It's not a big deal anymore. And then, nothing happens. :)

weird

Napo said...

a dent in a 4 months, you're doing very well actually, normally by this time, you would have spent a couple of thounsands dollars..

Adrienne said...

I remember fretting over the first ding in my then two-month-old car nine years ago. The next winter I removed snow from the roof with a metal shovel, scratched up the entire thing, and haven't cared a lick about the body since.

Your car will still love you. I think cars are like people - if they don't have scars they haven't led a very interesting life.