06 January 2006

Adaptation

I've been back home now for over 5 months... and there are things that I've yet to understand... Friends and family say "you'll adapt" soon enough. It really got me thinking on what this supposed adaptation means. What IS adaptation (besides a very interesting movie) ? Is it adjustment? Is it getting used to some things? or perhaps accepting them? And wouldn't accepting the things you criticize or view as wrong a sort of step back?

Truth is, there are some things that I will never change my habits or get used to what I deem to be wrong. I have come to realize that I cannot change an entire society. I have to simply to accept the way things are, not adapt to them, as in, do as they do, but simply try, somehow to comprehend a particular behavior and not get angry over it.

One example is the wearing of the seat belt... There is this... this... refusal, this obstination, in not wearing one, that I cannot comprehend. Why on earth do you refuse to perform a simple gesture that could save your life? Why would you ask me not to wear one because it is not obligatory? Do we do some things in life simply because they are required? And if so, why would you run through red lights or not use your turning signal (this incidentally is a rare occurence over here, people just switch lanes, from all directions, without notice)... The roads stress me out. Perhaps when I start being on the road myself, I will be able to somehow accept this way of being.

But for the time being, I still cringe.

No comments: