03 January 2006

Social image

During various discussions I've had with friends and family, I've come to realize that things are not quite the same as I thought... The concept of one's image is rather important as it can (apparently) make or break you. I understand fully the concept and I know that in the frame of a society, it goes without saying that we have to behave differently depending on who/where we are and who we are talking to.

The trouble I am having is when this concept of a "social image" becomes the only thing that matters to you. What do I mean by that? I mean that whenever you do something, you do for other's sake, and not your own. I think that it can become very dangerous, and is condusive to enforcing a sheep mentality. Put on whatever clothes you want because you want to put them, drink whatever you desire, and speak your mind... Just because things have been in a particular way for some time, does not mean that it is a good thing.

Moreover, don't make a big deal out of the trivialities of life... Think of the big picture... Think of the fact that you will die and try to do those things that will matter to you in your old age... What will you remember when you are 80? The way you gathered with your friends and family or the food you obsessed about making?

I guess my point is this, don't limit yourself, and realize that there is much more in life to discover and see... And please, just because you choose to do some things in your own way, don't make me change just so that you can stick a label easily on me.

1 comment:

ninad said...

Great to see you back! You have a lot of catching up to do, what with a several months long hiatus.

Have a great new year!